Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Goodbye, New York



Today was my last day in the city, so I figured the best way to give it a proper send-off was to go to the Brooklyn Bridge at dusk and take in the gorgeous view. As I gazed at the skyline, I couldn't help thinking of this quote from writer Delia Ephron:

"Loving New York is personal: the validation of identity. New Yorkers are born all over the country and then they come to the city and it strikes them, "Oh, this is who I am." 

This couldn't be more true. I have fallen in love with New York City and it's become another home. It's been so good to me these past four months and there are so many things I will miss about it:
  1. Knowing exactly where to get on the subway so I'm right in front of the exit when I reach my destination.
  2. Seeing the hilariously random We Buy Gold/Barbershop in the 86th and Lexington station
  3. NY-style bagels
  4. The fact there's pizza, coffee, and Duane Reades on almost every block 
  5. Having the opportunity to walk to wherever I want to go and the convenience of the public transportation system.
  6. Walking down the street and hearing people speak all kinds of languages.
  7. Seeing the "mad men" in their sharp suits on Madison Ave. on the way to work.
  8. Looking up to see St. Patrick's, 30 Rock, and Radio City Music Hall in one sight line on the way to work.
  9. The smell of the Halal Guys food cart on 53rd St. and 6th Ave. and waiting in a long line for it because it's that good. 
  10. Student-rushing Broadway shows 
  11. The possibility of seeing a celebrity just about anywhere 
  12. The film scene
  13. The museums 
  14. NYC in the spring (Central Park in particular)
  15. NYC in under a fresh blanket of snow
  16. The 92Y and the concerts and talks that are held there.
  17. The view out my window at the 92Y. 

17. The friends I've made at the 92Y. 
18. Hearing the traffic whir by as I fall asleep.
19. Hearing the best musicians in the city on the streets, subway stations, and parks.
20. The cute little dogs on their walks (especially the ones wearing sweaters). 
21. This view:


Although I'm sad to leave, I'm incredibly grateful for my experience here. Between my internship and my adventures in the city, this semester was more than I could have ever imagined. I'm going to miss it, but I know I'll be back again soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment